[Frameworks] Video works unviewable due to lost apparatus?

robert harris lagonaboba at rcn.com
Wed May 15 13:54:01 UTC 2013

Bjorn,

I suppose it depends somewhat on how you determine "art" and who is "famous".   Video technology has been constantly evolving since it's invention, and the oldest tools can be very very difficult to find, though if an old machine can be found, and the engineering skill, will, and funds are available, a tool could be refurbished and an unplayable work reanimated.  The tapes themselves, with entropy and decay, are perhaps even more transient than the machines, though I suppose it is more poignant to have a tape without a player than a dead tape.
An interesting place to look is ETVC's History site.  http://www.experimentaltvcenter.org/view_biblio_tools?page=1
A good starting point for investigating video work that has survived through format transfer might be ℅ Video Data Bank.
http://www.vdb.org/titles/surveying-first-decade-video-art-and-alternative-media-us-1968-1980.