[Frameworks] test footage of negative vs reversal s-8mm film stock

Marco Poloni mar.poloni at gmail.com
Sun Nov 3 22:03:40 UTC 2013

Hello Frameworkers,

I would like to share some materials with you. I just uploaded on
Vimeo two rolls of Super-8mm test footage.

I made those to challenge some assumptions and ideas about the format.
My own, but also some I read on emails in this community, as of May
2013 if I well remember, about scanning S-8mm negative film stock.

I needed to verify things for myself before starting a large project
in S-8mm, and to understand what could be done with the medium in a
digital workflow. As a friend appropriately said, the nice thing today
is that with a good and well-calibrated digital projector, one can
project 8mm footage in large, theatrical formats, and get amazing
results.

Here are the links:
https://vimeo.com/78479511
https://vimeo.com/78479510

Before reading further please be aware that I am writing from a
European perspective. Hence the work with labs and facilities that are
not too far away.

Don't look at the footage for aesthetic quality. It's a purely
technical test. One roll is Kodak Vision 3 50D, the other Fuji Velvia
50D. I used a Leicina special with a Schneider Optivaron 6-66mm/1.8 at
about 10mm focal length. As many of you know, it's one of the best
lenses ever built for this film format.
Exposure was measured with a lightmeter.
The footage was developed at AndecFilm in Berlin and scanned at
Ochoypico in Madrid in AppleProRes @ 10bit 4:2:2 with a bit of noise
reduction in post-scanning.
Of course the Vimeo files are quite compressed.

I am pretty happy with the results with the negative film. The image
has a very good dynamical range and is sharp. The only issue are some
tiny flashes, the size of dust specks. I have not yet figured out what
they are.
In my view the footage could only get better with a prime lens. I
projected the footage five meters wide in a film theater equipped with
a good Panasonic projector, and was surprised how well the image held.
Conversely, the reversal film suffers from the comparison. Limited
dynamical range, much contrast, lack of information in dark areas.
Also, there is more mechanical movement because I did not use a
pressure plate.

To be fair, in my limited experience, post-processing facilities seem
to be good either in scanning negative or reversal film, but not both.
I have had terrible results with negative film from a lab which is
excellent with reversal. Conversely, Ochoypico, in my view, excels in
scanning negatives.

I will be happy to read your reactions and critiques.

Best,
Marco

--

“A brave flat world.”