[Frameworks] test footage of negative vs reversal s-8mm film stock

Marco Poloni mar.poloni at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 05:41:30 UTC 2013

Hello Nicolas,

Thanks for sharing your footage. I have never tried the Cinegon lens
because as sharp as I read it is, there's something odd to it for me.
Firstly because it's a 10mm, i.e. a quite narrower field than the 7 to
8 mm that would correspond to the “normal” field of vision for S-8mm.
It is, in my view, a bit too narrow for landscape work. Secondly
because the focus dial basically does not transition very
progressively from macro positions, e.g. 1 foot distance to infinity,
so I had issues about its use for portrait work. This being said, a
friend of mine has one, I am keen to test it.

I find your UltraPan8 3.1 footage really sharp, sharper than on the
two other films. Wow. To be sure I understand you properly: when you
say “It utilizes the full width of Double Super 8 film” you mean that
you are exposing a width of 16mm (minus the two rows of sprocket
holes), leaving the film unhalved during development? And is your
camera pulling the film with two claws for increased stability?

Very best,
Marco