[Frameworks] Found Soundtrack Films

Fred Camper f at fredcamper.com
Tue Nov 26 01:05:36 UTC 2013

Quoting Albert Alcoz <albertalcoz7 at yahoo.es>:

> Hi,
>
> Institutional Qualityby George Landow was created from a found
> soundtrack, in this case a tape recorder about an instructional test.
>
> Does anyone know other examples that uses found soundtracks for
> experimental films, especially from the sixties and seventies?

There is this one by Ken Jacobs:

GLOBE (1971, 22 mins, 16mm, color, sound on cassette)
(Previously titled: EXCERPT FROM THE RUSSIAN REVOLUTION)
“Flat image (of snowbound suburban housing tract) blossoms into 3D
only when viewer places Eye Opener before the right eye. (Keeping both
eyes open, of course. As with all stereo experiences, center seats are
best. Space will deepen as one views further from the screen.) The
found-sound is X-ratable (not for children or Nancy Reagan) but is
important to the film’s perfect balance (GLOBE is symmetrical) of
divine and profane.” (KJ)  (pasted in from
http://nightingalecinema.org/ken-jacobs-x-3-old-new/)

I've seen it, and am not completely sure what I thought of it. It is
at the least extremely interesting.

Fred Camper
Chicago