[Frameworks] Found Soundtrack Films

Steve Polta steve.polta at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 01:41:48 UTC 2013

Tom Whiteside's description of his own *Home Safe Badminton* actually
reminds me of a very "early" Luis Recoder piece, the title of which I do
not recall, which paired an un-edited and untreated sound-off "found film"
on bomb detection (scanning the underside of parked cars with a mirror on a
long pole etc) with the un-edited untreated soundtrack from a film on an
artist (perhaps Paul Klee of Gustav Klimpt but I could be way off on this)
with lines like "He is looking for something unknown..." as the mirror pole
scanned. Saw this at Artists' Television Access' "Other Cinema" series in
San Francisco probably in 1997. Recoder had a real knack for amazingly
creative re-presentation of unedited and un-treated films and sounds back
then and many of his works from this era (likely lost forever in the haxe
of life and now un-seeable probably) would have satisfied the original
poster's inquiry around "found sound films."

See also Brian Frye's *Ozymandias* (circa 1996) and my own *Abbie Hoffman
in Chicago *(release date unknown).

Steve Polta