[Frameworks] Theater screens and chairs

Dylan Sharp dylansharp at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 21:05:51 UTC 2013

Hello...

I'm working on equipping a small screening space in Highland Park in LA in
the near future and I'd just like to get people's thoughts/recommendations
on custom screens and seating.

This is going to be a small project at first (mostly free screenings), but
it's looking like we need at least one (and possibly two) screens around
seventeen feet wide and about seven to nine feet tall. Anyone have any
advice as to what type of material is best for projecting onto and what it
might cost to have screens made (or to make them myself)? I'm looking for
something we can retract because the space is going to be multi-use.

Also, what type of seats do people prefer/tolerate when coming to film
screenings? We have an abundance of church pews (the venue used to be a
church) and metal folding chairs, but I don't think that's a good long term
solution. We need something we can move around to accommodate performance
and music shows that will also occur there as well. I'm putting together a
budget for this project and I'm not sure where to skimp and where to save
(besides the projector). I know classic theater chairs are the best, but
I'm not sure where to go about purchasing those (or even pricing them).

We've got one huge space that's going to be primarily a concert venue with
occasional screenings, and a microcinema type situation downstairs in the
basement.

I appreciate the feedback, I've never really dealt with this aspect of film
exhibition before and want to make the space as inviting as possible within
a modest budget.

Thanks
Dylan