[Frameworks] Student Film/Video Fests?

David Tetzlaff djtet53 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 05:22:48 UTC 2014

I think NextFrame may be kaput, or maybe on hiatus. They always used to show the finalists at UFVA, but there was nothing on the program last year. I didn't actually go to the conference, so I don't know if there was some late appearance, but the NextFrame website still says, "Check back for the winners in August 2013."

Anyway, NextFrame was never a good venue for experimental work, especially for undergrads. Their "experimental" program was always short, and always dominated by entries from European film academies that employed a lot of 'clever' high-tech special effects.

It would be nice if some of the established festivals or venues that show experimental-as-we-understand-it stuff had the sort of thing Benjamin is talking about: a 'young makers" showcase limited to first-time makers and/or makers under a certain age limit (say, 21 and under). Steve? Roger? Bryan? Anybody? Bueller? :-)