[Frameworks] TONIGHT AKIKO IIMURA 16mm films, artist in person at Microscope Gallery in Brooklyn, 7pm

LBurchill elle.burchill at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 20:07:46 UTC 2014

*Late Lunch * and *Mon Petit Album*
by Akiko Iimura
admission $6
doors at 7pm

icroscope Gallery is very excited to present an extremely rare screening of
the films of writer/filmmaker Akiko Iimura, rediscovered in the past year
in their original 16mm formats. *Mon Petit Album* (1971) and *Late
Lunch*(1985) are the only two films by Iimura and for years have been
solely
available as video transfers. *Late Lunch*, a 28-minute coalescence of
color, light, and material objects has never before screened in the US. *Mon
Petit Album*, Iimura’s first film, was last screened in the 1980s at
Millennium Film Workshop. Both were inspired by the sounds of Belgian
musician Jacques Bekaert, who was living in New York at the time and wrote
original compositions for Iimura’s films in response. Iimura will be in
attendance.

_
Akiko Iimura was born in Tokyo, Japan and has lived in New York since the
mid-60s. She has been an editor, writer and sometimes photographer for
Japanese publications for many years. She was the translator for the
Japanese editions of  “Movie Journal” and “I Had Nowhere to Go” by Jonas
Mekas. Akiko Iimura is presently an essayist for the Japanese community
paper in New York.

*Mon Petit Album*
*16mm, color, sound, 1974, 12 min*
Music by Jacques Bekaert, played by Kosugi, Koike and members of Taji Mahal
Travelers

“The idea of making a film came after having seen a lots of
experimental films and sounds in 1960s. Especially I was so interested in
works of Jacques Bekaert. He is a Belgian composer whose music sounds like
so colorful and poetic as well as organic, which reminded me
some impressionist paintings. I proposed him to make a film together; I
make images and he makes sounds and then we combine them later. Only thing
we decided was the length of time (10 minutes). The images are the
portraits of my friends.” – AI

Mon Petit Album”s soundtrack includes David Behrman on alto, from an
outdoor recording at Stony Point, NY, a summer resort for artists and
outdoor happenings, plus excerpts from a Transition concert in London, the
band Bekaert formed in 1971 with Michel Herr, Takehisa Kosugi and Rio
Koike, both members of the Taj Mahal Travelers.

*Late Lunch*
*16 mm, color, sound, 1985, 28 min*
Music by Jacques Bekaert

“The 2nd film I made with the music of Jacques Bekaert. I tried to mingle
as much random colors and materials as possible and extend the time to
accord with the music by Bekaert.” – AI

The soundtrack is based on acoustic instruments and field recordings,
brilliantly reconfigured and mixed by Bekaert to create a surreal,
immersive soundscape. The technique used includes slowed-down recordings,
radical sound effects and surreal juxtapositions of sounds.