[Frameworks] query for those who teach filmmaking

Pip Chodorov frameworks at re-voir.com
Thu Apr 17 23:53:23 UTC 2014

I am teaching at Dongguk University in Seoul now. I brought over
eight super-8 cameras and all the raw products needed to mix together
B&W reversal chemicals, 60 rolls of Tri-X, a few viewers and
splicers. The school switched to digital five years ago, but they
still have a couple of Arriflexes in reserve. The freshman students
seem really happy running around with the Nizos, working in the
darkroom, projecting their rushes each week and cutting with scissors
and tape.
The school provided $600 which covered one roll of film per student.
Each student paid $8 for darkroom costs for the semester, and they
can buy extra rolls of film for $12 a roll.
I think this is a cheaper solution that really teaches the basics of
filmmaking in a very sensible and direct way that will inform them
handily for the rest of their careers.
-Pip Chodorov