[Frameworks] query for those who teach filmmaking

John Warren johnwarren at alum.calarts.edu
Fri Apr 18 17:05:35 UTC 2014

Thanks for the query, Irene. I am also interested to see what is happening at other institutions. I teach at two schools in Nashville that were both using FCP7 a couple of years ago, and they have adopted two different solutions. At the Watkins College of Art, Design & Film, they have largely migrated to Avid, but all of the school's computers also have FCPX, so that gets used by students and sometimes taught as well.

I also teach at Vanderbilt University in the Art department (where i teach experimental video) and in the Cinema & Media Arts program (where i teach an intro-level 16mm course), and both departments have switched from FCP7 to Adobe Premiere. It's ideal for my art class, where we also do some compositing work in After Effects. The interface of Premiere should be familiar to anyone who has worked with FCP7. And i love that you do not need to transcode footage.

I only wish i could implement Pip's super 8 filmmaking model at either school.

peace, jw

John Warren
213.458.1650
www.johnwarrenfilms.com