[Frameworks] query for those who teach filmmaking

Laura Kraning laurakraning at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 19 18:19:27 UTC 2014

I teach at CalArts and we switched our editing curriculum over to Avid two years ago from FCP 7, mainly because FCP X and Premiere were not satisfactory for our workflows, including working with flex files and cut lists for 16mm editing (though animation students learn Premiere to integrate with After Effects). We still have FCP 7 installed for those who haven't made the transition, but it's getting harder for the tech people to maintain, as it conflicts with newer versions of QuickTime and other software, so they may be bailing on it next year.

While each of the current NLEs have their plusses and minuses and we'd rather not have technology be an inhibiting factor in our students'  creative evolution, as Adam mentioned previously, Avid still provides more opportunities for employment in post-production here in Los Angeles, where I am seeing those companies who were reluctant to give up FCP 7 for the past couple of years, finally making the switch to Avid (even independent documentary productions).

Best,

Laura Kraning