[Frameworks] query for those who teach filmmaking

Aaron F. Ross aaron at digitalartsguild.com
Wed Apr 23 20:02:39 UTC 2014

Damn you kids, get off my lawn!!

This argument has been going on ever since the Sony Porta-pak video
system became available in the late 60s. Lower cost and instant
gratification has supposedly killed creativity. But of course, now
there is an entire historical catalog of long form video art that is
now in the experimental cinema canon, preserved in museums, part of
the "establishment".

Technology is not making things too easy, it's enabling people who
previously couldn't make movies to be creative. They often do need
guidance, and that guidance has to come from mentors who understand
the art of cinema as well as its technological developments.

Rejecting the technology is a losing strategy. You can't put the
genie back in the bottle. To stay relevant, instructors must adapt to
the changing times. This is the fundamental issue with education
across the board.

Aaron