[Frameworks] HOW TO USE WITHOUT A BOX TO SUBMIT FILMS

Aaron F. Ross aaron at digitalartsguild.com
Sat Feb 15 08:55:45 UTC 2014

It depends on what equipment will be screening
the MP4 file. What is the native resolution of
the projector? What is the computer that will be
playing back the file? Encode the file to the
maximum resolution and bitrate that the system can handle, and no more.

Usually a 1080p master should be encoded at 20
megabits per second, two-pass variable bit rate
encoding. This is Blu-ray standard quality.

Certain types of footage, especially fast motion
or flicker, may benefit from setting the
compression keyframe distance explicitly. There's
no way to recommend what that distance should be,
it's totally footage-dependent. I would do an
encode without a specific keyframe distance and
see if the result looks good. If you are seeing
frame blending or other artifacts, set the
keyframe distance to 24 or 30, depending on
source frame rate. That's one keyframe per
second. If you still see artifacts, reduce the
keyframe distance incrementally. If keyframe
distance is set to the minimum of 1, then each
frame is compressed individually (interframe) and
there is no interpolation across frames
(intraframe). This is an extreme setting that may
cause more problems than it solves, but I'm describing options.

The potential issue with high bitrate encoding is
that the playback computer has issues playing it
back. If the processor or hard drive is not fast
enough, the playback will stutter and drop
frames. This has happened to me personally, and
it utterly sucks in ways I can't begin to
describe. Therefore I suggest also encoding a
720p file as a backup in case the target playback
system chokes on the 1080p file. Encode the 720p
file at 10 megabits per second, two pass variable bit rate.

Aaron