[Frameworks] 16mm projectors for use in Central Asia

John Davis 0johndavis0 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 21:17:04 UTC 2014

Hello,

I am traveling as an instructor/visiting artist for a month to Dushanbe,
Tajikistan end of March to assist in some found footage workshops for
regional artists to work with a 16mm Soviet film archive there. I need to
obtain two projectors that I can fly with me from California for use as
transfer/viewing/exhibition machines.

My question is if anyone knows any good projectors that can handle the
transformation from 120v to 220v. Last time I did this I brought a generic
B&H 16mm with me to Moldova and a transformer was rigged for it. Although it
worked, the footage ran slower and the machine got hot - didn't fail, but
always seemed on the edge. My understanding is the frequency of the motor
can't tolerate the transforming of current, and you need to have a projector
optimized for 120 - 220v range at 40 - 60hz. Most don't, but a few were made
to. The ones I know can are the B&H 1698 A or B, B&H 1680, B&H 2580 AX, and
the Telex 2251. I don't which Eikei's did, but I'm sure there are a few.

If anyone has any experience with this, or has any advice (or equipment they
want to sell me) I am all ears!

Thanks!

John Davis