[Frameworks] 16mm projectors for use in Central Asia

Ekrem Serdar ekremserdar at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 21:21:53 UTC 2014

Hi John,

  While this will definitely be a heavier option, one I know for sure are
these Telex models which you can get brand new with a zoom lens. I really
like them, they're nice and gentle and they have a frequency option
(military projector).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TELEX-16mm-Sound-Projector-Stock-NEW-/281229178674?pt=US_Movie_Slide_Projectors&hash=item417a90b732

  But as said, heavy as hell. I feel like there's appropriate Eiki models
are out there too (though I can't think of the model numbers), but if you
can't find any, it's an option.

On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 3:17 PM, John Davis <0johndavis0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am traveling as an instructor/visiting artist for a month to Dushanbe,
> Tajikistan end of March to assist in some found footage workshops for
> regional artists to work with a 16mm Soviet film archive there. I need to
> obtain two projectors that I can fly with me from California for use as
> transfer/viewing/exhibition machines.
>
> My question is if anyone knows any good projectors that can handle the
> transformation from 120v to 220v. Last time I did this I brought a generic
> B&H 16mm with me to Moldova and a transformer was rigged for it. Although
> it worked, the footage ran slower and the machine got hot - didn't fail,
> but always seemed on the edge. My understanding is the frequency of the
> motor can't tolerate the transforming of current, and you need to have a
> projector optimized for 120 - 220v range at 40 - 60hz. Most don't, but a
> few were made to. The ones I know can are the B&H 1698 A or
> B, B&H 1680, B&H 2580 AX, and the Telex 2251. I don't which Eikei's did,
> but I'm sure there are a few.
>
> If anyone has any experience with this, or has any advice (or equipment
> they want to sell me) I am all ears!
>
> Thanks!
>
> John Davis

ekrem serdar