[Frameworks] film thief, copyright idiot

chris bravo iamdirect at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 17:26:41 UTC 2014

I am pretty much a free culture absolutist, but over the past few years
have seen the development of a disturbing form of piracy that people should
be aware of that is particularly insidious because there is no way for you
to know, ever, that your work has been stolen. Basically, there is a
sizable part of the video production industry that is aimed towards markets
that corporations consider "internal". This ranges from pitch reels for
television shows, ad agency presentation pitches, marketing research
videos, etc. There is a high premium on "multimedia" across the entire
culture of corporate america so its a no brainer that there has been an
explosion in the number and quality of these videos being produced. Lots of
times these videos are referred to as "rip-o-matics". They are discussed
openly as such. These videos are usually a combination of produced video,
rounded out with video culled off of vimeo and youtube. DPs cinematography
reels are particularly open to being targeted. Short films are also ripe
for stealing because there is a consistent "look" across many scenes and
there is potentially a lot of character to the establishing shots. The
hypocrisy of this activity is mind-boggling. These are the same
corporations financing the anti-piracy movement.

Its interesting to note that if you look at the system vimeo is deploying
to automatically scan for copy-protected content:

http://nofilmschool.com/2014/05/vimeo-updates-copyright-match-not-flag-private-videos-plus-pro-members/

Their copy-right scans SKIPS videos set to private! This seems to be an
implicit acknowledgement from vimeo that this black market exists, and an
implicit validation of that market, and a signal that they aren't going to
include that market in their broader strategies to eliminate piracy. Which
as always is only ever focused on the consumer class.