[Frameworks] banned films?

Gary Thomas gary.thomas at mac.com
Fri Mar 28 17:59:32 UTC 2014

In the UK film censorship (as opposed to certification) rests with local government - and in the 1980s, London County Council had a slightly more relaxed attitude than the rest of the country - Pasolini's Salo showed in a porn theatre.

I'm sure Mano Destra and Fuses had problems. The London Filmmakers Coop, the Scala, and other repertory cinemas were able to get round things a bit by being 'membership' cinemas. (And before them, the Arts Lab, where David Curtis screened Flaming Creatures. I may have this wrong, but I think it was also screened for Princess Margaret.)

Taxi Zum Klo was banned for a time. The Night Porter. Cronenberg's Crash. Louis Malle's Pretty Baby.

A Clockwork Orange was removed from distribution at the behest of Kubrick himself. Natural Born Killers couldn't be shown for some time because of certification issues. Ken Russell's The Devils was banned around the world. I'm possibly straying from the 'erotic' with those. Possibly...

Bruce Le Bruce's LA Zombies was banned in Melbourne I think. Jarman's Sebastiane in Ontario. I'm sure Fritz the Cat was banned somewhere..