[Frameworks] reflexivity and Dziga Vertov

Benjamin Léon benjamin.leon at univ-paris3.fr
Tue Nov 25 22:39:15 UTC 2014

Hi Jaime,

You can find an interesting analysis/interpretation about "Man with a Movie
Camera" in the first chapter/introduction of "The Language of New Media" by
Lev Manovich. It's an archaeological media approach with a new point of
view of Cinema History. Manovich uses "Man with a Movie Camera" as a
"starting point" for his epistemology. Despite a systematically and a
methodically approach (it's not my way of thinking), there's some great
notes about the film, especially his "reflexivity aspects".

*Cf. "The Language of New Media" by Lev Manovich / Prologue: Vertov's
Dataset. *

Regards,

> I don't have the book in hand, and it has been awhile since I read it, but
> I believe that there is also a useful discussion on Vertov and MWMC in
> Robert Stam's Reflexivity in Film and Literature: From Don Quixote to
> Jean-Luc Godard.
>
> Best,
>
> CC
>
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 9:28 AM, John MacKay <johnmackay65 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Self-reflexivity in Vertov is a very complex topic, not least in relation
>> to the questions of how and when he ended up taking recourse to
>> self-reflexivity, and why he never thematizes it in his manifesta and other
>> theoretical writings. I've got a lot about this in my upcoming book on
>> Vertov, but here's something that looks at the film and its reflexivity
>> from a somewhat different angle:
>>
>> https://www.academia.edu/4090580/_Man_with_a_Movie_Camera_An_Introduction_
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 11:19 AM, Francisco Torres <fjtorrespr at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> ''...the reflexive mode'' - that seems to apply to documentaries, and
>>> TMWAMC may not be a documentary but something else. Maybe something like an
>>> essay....

>>> I’m not sure anything’s ever been written about DV/MWMC that *didn’t*

> Caryn Cline
> Experimental Filmmaker & Teacher
> vimeo.com/carynyc
> Co-producer & cinematographer, *Acts of Witness*
> www.actsofwitness.com

*Benjamin Léon *

Benjamin Léon
Ph.D Candidate in Film and Visual Studies
Ed 267 "Arts et Médias"
Université Sorbonne Nouvelle - Paris 3
benjamin.leon at univ-paris3.fr
FR + 33 (0)6 28 07 18 00