[Frameworks] announcement from Colorlab re: 16mm b/w services

Mark Toscano filmobject at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 22:23:13 UTC 2014

Though this announcement was directed more to film archives/archivists, I
figure it would be relevant here too.

Mark T

**

Colorlab Announces Full Continued Support for 16mm B/W Film Intermediates
and Prints

            Many of you are no doubt aware Kodak has made the unfortunate
decision to discontinue 16mm polyester intermediate film stocks 3234
Duplicate Negative and 3366 Fine Grain Master Positive.  This decision took
effect at the end of August, leading archivists and filmmakers to question
the viability of laboratory support for the 16mm b/w format.  As proponents
of the 16mm format, Colorlab will continue to support b/w film and we have
on hand extra 16mm b/w stock to handle all jobs currently in house and as
well as incoming ones.
In the meantime, we are currently testing alternative film stocks and
intend to have a steady source of newly manufactured 16mm b/w polyester
intermediate films in order to continue to serve our clients and the
preservation community at large.  Our plans at this time do not include
automatically blowing up to 35mm film stocks or utilizing 16mm color
internegative or color duplicate negative stocks to achieve b/w results.
Both methods unnecessarily drive up preservation costs and aesthetically
dilute the end preservation document.
While the film industry, and 16mm in particular, have undergone major
changes in recent years, we will continue to serve and support our 16mm
clients and the filmmaking/preservation community as a whole.

Russ Suniewick, President
Colorlab Corp.
5708 Arundel Ave
Rockville, MD 20852