[Frameworks] Glitch video artists

Al Matthews prolepsis at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 10:43:59 UTC 2014

That's a nice variety of approaches, on ungun for example.

I suspect most of the glitch people are by now self-consciously
referential. Kim Asendorf has been curating a lot of this recently (in .gif
format, naturally enough). c.f. http://fa-g.org/ongoing .

Some of the major or else visible and feted players are collected there,
including Yoshihide Sodeoka and Rosa Menkman. See also
http://we-make-money-not-art.com/archives/2013/07/glitch-momentums.php .

There tends to be a conscious focus on image consumption, rather than film
per se.

SAIC (Jon Cates e.g.) is also working in this vein.

I want to add that, in my own partially vetted opinion, a lot of this work
comes out of music technology research. Glitch in 1994 and earlier is for
me a product of lots of people, of whom Markus Popp is well known and
visited CalArts if I recall correctly, possibly as early as 1997. To my
far-secondhand knowledge it is Yasunao Tone who invented the technique of
placing perforated tape on an optical disc.

Kim Cascone too. The tradition is an old one and if you trace it via
microsound it goes back via Roads and Truax at least as far as  Xenakis.
Basinski is also useful in this regard, i.e. attention to the
disintegrations of the magnetic.

Cheers, and thanks for your time.

Al