[Frameworks] Books on the History of Avant-Garde film in US

fred truniger fred.truniger at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 19:56:57 UTC 2015

most of them 'special interest' but still histories of the Avant-Garde
in the US
MacDonald, Scott: The Garden in the Machine. A Field Guide to
Independent Films About Place. Berkeley 2001.
Wees, William C: Recycled Images. New York 1993.
Brakhage, Stan: Film at Wit's End. New York 1989.
Mellencamp, Patricia: Indiscretions. Avant-Garde Film, Video, &
Feminism. 1990.
Iles, Chrissie: Into the Light. The Projected Image in American Art
1964-1977. New York 2001.
Turim, Maureen Cheryn: Abstraction in Avant-Garde Films. Ann Arbor 1985.
Michelson, Annette: New Forms in Film. Montreux 1974.
Michelson, Annette: artforum (special issue). September 1971.
Balsom, Erika: Exhibiting Art in Contemporary Cinema. Amsterdam
University Press, Amsterdam 2013.

maybe also
Le Grice, Malcolm: Abstract Film and Beyond. London 1977.

cheers, fred

*Dr. Fred Truniger*
Grünmattstrasse 52
CH - 8055 Zürich