[Frameworks] Millennium Film Workshop R.I.P.

Michael Betancourt hinterland.movies at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 14:26:27 UTC 2015

The role and importance of institutions is one of those things that I think
gets ignored too often. Organizations fill-in in ways that online things
don't, providing support and help in ways both obvious and subtle. But I
have to admit that I feel ambivalent about them since too often
institutions (and I'm speaking generally, not about Millennium or any
particular one here) become narrow support systems only for their immediate
friends and collaborators, closed to anyone not already on the inside. I
think that sense of being exclusive and closed is a big part of what led to
the "get own stuff, abandon peers" that has happened with digital.
Greater access, especially with the digital and Internet, creates an
illusion of not needing the same supports that historically made media
working possible, especially since (I remember this in the 1980s and 1990s)
there was a real antipathy to anyone working with video, DV or just simply
not working on film. I think the foundations of the current situation begin
with that medium-specific bias, one that I experienced myself.

Michael Betancourt
Savannah, GA USA

michaelbetancourt.com
twitter.com/cinegraphic | vimeo.com/cinegraphic
www.cinegraphic.net | the avant-garde film & video blog