[Frameworks] What are the 3 Essential Films that you would show Artists on their first foray into the Moving Image Realm ?

Dennis Doros milefilms at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 21:26:49 UTC 2015

There are no three possible to represent the entire world of experimental
film.

But for women, you might want to start with Suspense by Lois Weber and
Philip Smalley. It's extremely experimental for the year it was made.

And with Shirley Clarke, having seen all of them now about two dozen times
each over the past six years, I know that BRIDGES-GO-ROUND is everybody's
favorite but I would say MOMENT IN LOVE is mine. Seeing her outtakes and
notebooks, it's the one she worked the hardest to create and I love the
work of choreographer Anna Sokolow. Also, we are just starting to show D.
A. Pennebaker and Shirley Clarke's BRUSSELS LOOP films (there were also
four or five other filmmakers involved) and they are really incredible up
on the screen.

But especially for artists, it's almost impossible not to include the best
of experimental film without my favorite, which is BEGONE DULL CARE by
Norman McLaren (and Evelyn Lambert) and it's tough to show him without the
best of Len Lye.

Also in mind with artists, and for more collaborations between man and a
woman, you can't really go wrong with Alexeieff and Parker pin animation.

Best regards,
Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128 / Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: 201-767-3117 / Fax: 201-767-3035 / Email: milefilms at gmail.com

Visit our main website!  www.milestonefilms.com
Visit our new websites!  www.mspresents.com, www.portraitofjason.com,
www.shirleyclarkefilms.com,
To see or download our 2014 Video Catalog, click here
<http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0150/7896/files/2014MilestoneVideoCatalog.pdf?75>
!

Support "Milestone Film" on Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Milestone-Film/22348485426> and Twitter