[Frameworks] TONIGHT 3.30 7pm - Jonas Mekas "365 Day Project - Part 3 - March" at Microscope, Mekas in person w. pizza and rootbeer

LBurchill elle.burchill at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 19:13:43 UTC 2015

admission $6 - free for members

Microscope is very pleased to announce the premiere of *PART THREE* “March”
from Jonas Mekas’ “365 Day Project” as the third of a 12-part program,
screened at the end of each month, comprising the nearly 38-hour long video
project. For the year of 2007, Mekas challenged himself to make and upload
a video on his website each day, at times repurposing or incorporating
previously unseen footage from his earlier 16mm films and analog videos.

Originally each of the videos, ranging from 30 seconds to 30 minutes, were
made available for download and playable on smartphones at a time when
Facebook had just been made publicly accessible, Youtube had just been
acquired by Google, and the first iPhone was about to be released later
that year.

Among the many highlights of *Part Three (Days 60 – 90)* are Madonna
concert at Madison Square Garden, Peter Kubelka playing a Tibetan gong,
Jonas seeking  “silence please”, a drink with Zoe Lund at the Mars Bar,
snowballs, saunas and a dip in a freezing lake in Tampere Finland, and a
requiem for a broken tree in Brooklyn.

“Every day of the year 2007 I placed on my website one new video usually
about three to ten minutes in length.  By the time the project ended, I had
made 38 hours of completed video works, the equivalent of twenty feature
films… It was the most challenging undertaking I had ever done. The videos
deal with my life in Brooklyn and my many travels of that year. It’s
personal and anthropological (impersonal) at the same time.  During my
travels I relied a lot on technical and other help from The Gang (Benn
Northover, Sebastian Mekas — I travel most of the time with The Gang) and
Elle Burchill was always ready at my Brooklyn station. You’ll see a lot of
me and my friends, various daily activities, gettings together, a lot of
music, and a lot of events around New York and Europe that year. The main
challenge was to record it and share it immediately with many friends all
over the world. Today I still do the same, but not daily, with less
pressure, on my website www.jonasmekas.com”
- Jonas Mekas

more info: www.microscopegallery.com

Microscope Gallery, 1329 Willoughby Ave, #2b, Brooklyn, NY 11237
tel: 347.925.1433, info at microscopegallery.com

We are located at the Jefferson L (Starr Street exit), walk up slope, left
on Willoughby, mid-block at little tree, enter through open entrance.