[Frameworks] High-definition frame grabs

John Muse jmuse at sonic.net
Wed Sep 30 17:18:57 UTC 2015

Over the years I've been asked repeatedly by designers for high-resolution (600dpi) stills from SD videos.  I've patiently explained to designers how to take a 640x480 frame and resample it (in photoshop or other image editing software) so that it meets their requirements.  But they always say, "can't you make it 600dpi?"  "Um, yes.  But I'm inventing resolution for you where there isn't resolution.  You can do this yourself, No?"

Suffice to say, Jihoon, your VLC grabs are as good as you're going to get.  Yes, you can plump them up in Photoshop.  Under Image/Image Size set the resolution to 600dpi and the size to 6" x 4.5"  That should make your designer happy.

I also amplify Pip's caution: "seek authorization and high quality stills from the filmmakers or rights holders."

On Sep 30, 2015, at 1:06 PM, Pip Chodorov <frameworks at re-voir.com> wrote:

> Dear Jihoon Kim,
> 안녕하세요
> DVDs are not high-resolution. You can only get standard definition compressed screen grabs.
> Moreover as a film distributor I advise you to seek authorization and high quality stills from the filmmakers or rights holders.
> Good luck!
> Pip Chodorov
> (FrameWorks founder and progessor of film at Dongguk University, Seoul!)
>

> At 1:44 +0900 1/10/15, Ji-hoon Felix Kim wrote:
>> Anyone who can advise me how to obtain high-resolution (600dpi) screen grabs from DVDs? I'm in preparation for my book manuscript and want to include some frame grabs as its accompanied illustrations.

j/PrM

john muse
visiting assistant professor of independent college programs
haverford college
http://www.finleymuse.com
http://www.haverford.edu/faculty/jmuse
http://haverford.academia.edu/JohnMuse