[Frameworks] Docs With Expressive Dramatizations

Gene Youngblood atopia at comcast.net
Mon Aug 29 20:19:08 UTC 2016

Ken,
Do you require that the “expressive dramatizations” come from the maker of the documentary? That’s important. There’s a doc about the history of class struggle in America that Link TV has been showing in the past few months which is illustrated entirely with clips from feature films, but it’s not a critique of those films, and the viewer is not supposed to receive them as such. You’re supposed to understand them as “expressive dramatizations” of the documentary’s subject and ignore where they came from. There are a lot of them, from "Matewan” to “The Age of Innocence” (they are not identified) and it works, more or less. I qualify it because it’s like telling someone “don’t think of an elephant.” Especially people like us; maybe an “average filmgoer,” whatever that means, would not be as aware. I’m losing the name of the doc right now.