[Frameworks] Docs With Expressive Dramatizations

Elena Duque elenaduque at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 09:04:40 UTC 2016

Hello, Ken

Here you are a few examples that come to my mind:
The Arbor, by Clio Barnard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKL8tSVaM3Y

Not a Pretty Picture, by Martha Coolidge
https://vimeo.com/channels/835478/111304721

Little Dieter Needs to Fly, by Werner Herzog
http://sensesofcinema.com/2013/cteq/little-dieter-needs-to-fly/

> Hi,
>
> I'm biased (as I was co-producer), but "Operation Homecoming: Writing the
> Wartime Experience" (2007 is very interesting in the wide array of
> approaches it uses, from direct address to camera, archival footage,
> direct cinema, "dramatization," and animation to convey the writings of
> troops about their experiences in Iraq & Afghanistan.
>
> Adam
>
> On 8/29/16 1:19 PM, "Gene Youngblood" <atopia at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >Ken,
> >Do you require that the ³expressive dramatizations² come from the maker
> >of the documentary? That¹s important. There¹s a doc about the history of
> >class struggle in America that Link TV has been showing in the past few
> >months which is illustrated entirely with clips from feature films, but
> >it¹s not a critique of those films, and the viewer is not supposed to
> >receive them as such. You¹re supposed to understand them as ³expressive
> >dramatizations² of the documentary¹s subject and ignore where they came
> >from. There are a lot of them, from "Matewan² to ³The Age of Innocence²
> >(they are not identified) and it works, more or less. I qualify it
> >because it¹s like telling someone ³don¹t think of an elephant.²
> >Especially people like us; maybe an ³average filmgoer,² whatever that
> >means, would not be as aware. I¹m losing the name of the doc right now.
> >

> >> On Aug 29, 2016, at 11:42 AM, Ken Paul Rosenthal
> >><kenpaulrosenthal at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm researching docs that feature expressive dramatizations, either as
> >>brief interstitial moments or extended scenes such as 'The Act of
> >>Killing'. I look forward to any and all suggestions.
> >>
> >> Thanks, Ken
> >> www.kenpaulrosenthal.com
> >> www.whisperrapture.com
> >> www.maddancementalhealthfilmtrilogy.com