[Frameworks] chemical disposal with septic system

Ryder White ryder.white at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 08:14:28 UTC 2016

Re: silver removal, it is my understanding that one can use a ball of steel
wool to replace the silver in the solution if you do not care about
recovering the silver easily. If you throw steel wool in a bucket of spent
fixer the iron from the steel wool will swap the silver in solution...the
result will be an iron-rich fixer solution (relatively harmless) and a
silver sludge. Filter the sludge and the rest can probably go down the
drain without consequence, although admittedly I've never done this on a
septic system.

I have a generally poor understanding of the finer points of chemistry, so
perhaps someone wants to clarify that...but as far as I know that is the
simplest silver recovery process.

Not sure if it works in reversal bleach as I've always considered that too
harmful to dump, silver or no silver.