[Frameworks] Digital hd projection

Scott Dorsey kludge at panix.com
Mon Dec 5 18:01:14 UTC 2016

If you're seeing lines on the edges of the frame, I'd wonder also if the
blacks aren't really very black at all.  The two together would indicate it's
time to replace the LCD.  They fade after use.

Digital projection of black and white currently won't get blacks as rich as
the original film, but it's possible to do a pretty good job with the right
equipment.  That means having a projector that _has_ good blacks, having a
projector that is bright enough to have a 16fl white, and having the projector
aligned properly so that a grey scale chip chart looks and measures correct.

Too often I see projectors that aren't bright enough, so they crank the
"brightness" control up.... the blacks go grey, the whites blow out, and
if you looked at a grey scale you would see the top three and bottom three
chips all looked the same....
--scott