[Frameworks] Feature 16mm FILM Kickstarter

Fred Camper f at fredcamper.com
Sat Dec 24 15:49:23 UTC 2016

I can't resist a reply, though admittedly a bit off-topic: Willie Sutton
always denied having said this. Apparently a reporter made it up. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Sutton

His actual reason for robbing banks is much more interesting: "I loved it."

I agree that one cannot object to a kickstarter link. But the
"ecosystem" of FrameWorks has evolved from a list that used to have some
actual discussions on it, however idiotic (and I include some of my own
arguments in "idiotic"), however nasty, about real issues of cinema and
art, to a list that consists mostly of self-promotions and questions on
the order of, "Can anyone give me a list of films that include bunny
rabbits," with no further explanation as to the reason for the query. Is
this not in keeping with our current culture, in which everyone is
absorbed in themselves, their business, their money, their feelings, and
in what others can do for ME? Our elections go the same way. People vote
on their highly personal emotional response to a candidate, rather than
by studying the issues, and trying to objectively assess the candidate's
qualifications.

"I loved it." Perhaps one should find a way to do something one loves,
with or without money.

But no, I am not objecting to those easy-to-ignore Kickstarter links.
Interesting though how the evolving Web has made something easy that no
one would have considered earlier. I have trouble imagining a FrameWorks
post in the pre-Kickstarter days stating, "I need money to finish my
film. Please send me some. Here's my address. I'll send you a T-shirt in
return." The current Web has made us even more self-absorbed, it seems.

In the spirit of holiday giving,

Fred Camper
Chicago