[Frameworks] Annette Michelson and Peter Gidal

John McAndrew jj.mcandrew at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 14:01:17 UTC 2016

Funnily enough, Peter mentioned these public spats with Annette Michelson
at the recent Q&A (which was pretty much just *a* question *and* answer,
albeit a 25 minute one!) he did after a two film programs he curated for
the ongoing London Filmmaker's Coop 50th Anniversary celebrations at BFI
Southbank. He's always had a very turbulent critical relationship with her,
but the two of them apparently were always quite willing to meet up
whenever they were in town for personal engagements. Interestingly, he
mentioned that fellow Americans on the other hand took matters FAR more
personally if they had any critical differences between themselves, and
would gladly cross the street to avoid each other. If Gidal happen to be in
one other's company at the time of such an encounter, they would at least
tolerate the other - whether this is true or not I cannot say.

I actually have most of this interview available as a lo-fi recording
someone secretly made on the night. I'd be happy to forward the mp3 onto
those who are interested off-list. As well as offering a fascinating
snapshot of the times, he was extremely funny too.

Best,
John