[Frameworks] |||||| EAR AS OTHER on Tour ||||||

Kevin T Allen kevintallen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 21:10:27 UTC 2016

Dear Frameworkers,

I am heading West to present a collection of my "sound-films" next week. If
you or anyone you know resides on the left coast, please help me spread the
word. See below for details.

Thanks!
Kevin

SEATTLE
Saturday - Jan. 9th @ 7:30pm
Northwest Film Forum <http://www.nwfilmforum.org/live/page/calendar/3797>

SANTA CRUZ
Thursday - Jan. 14th @ 7pm
UCSC Center for Documentary Arts & Research
<http://cdar.ucsc.edu/index.php/2015/11/01/ear-as-other-the-sound-films-of-kevin-t-allen>

SAN FRANCISCO
Friday - Jan. 15th @ 7:30pm
San Francisco Cinematheque
<http://www.sfcinematheque.org/screenings/calculating-odds-and-the-possibility-of-miracles/>

*"The work of filmmaker, sound artist and radio producer Kevin T.
Allen weds exquisite Super-8mm photography to masterful contact microphone
soundscapes to create films as deeply invested in the secret lives of
material objects as in the cultures, landscapes and persons they intimately
depict."* Steve Polta, SF Cinematheque.
​
*Also don't miss this workshop at Northwest Film Forum:*
EXPANDED RECORDING TECHNIQUES FOR NONFICTION SOUND
<http://nwfilmforum.org/live/page/workshops/84#3779>
Saturday, January 9th @ 5pm
This seminar begins at ground zero, introducing students to the
fundamentals of working with sound as a raw material. We investigate the
distinctions between sonic, acoustic and aural approaches as they apply to
nonfiction practice. We discuss and demonstrate the crucial connection
between sound and space and how it may be best exploited within
moving-image work. We examine the role of extreme low frequencies and
psychoacoustics in forming an embodied experience with sound. Through
practical samples from his own sonic experiments in the field, the artist
will introduce students to low-cost and DIY expanded recording strategies,
including handmade binaural devices, piezo contact microphones,
hydrophones, and VLF receivers.

*Kevin T. Allen* is a filmmaker, sound artist and radio producer whose
practice ranges from the ethnographic to the experimental. He has exhibited
at numerous venues, including MoMA, Ethnographic Terminalia, Flaherty NYC,
Margaret Mead Film Festival, Berlin Directors Lounge and Ann Arbor Film
Festival. His sound work has been featured at museums and festivals,
including the Canadian Centre for Architecture, Third Coast International
Audio Festival and Deep Wireless Festival of Radio Art. He has made
ethnographically imbued films in Vietnam, Sri Lanka, India, Peru, Bolivia,
Argentina, the Wild West, and the migrant farm worker community of
Immokalee, Florida. Recent research has lead him to find culture not
exclusively in human forms, but also inherent in physical landscapes and
material objects. His work is funded through the Jerome Foundation. He is
an assistant professor at The New School in NYC where teaches documentary
practice and experimental filmmaking. He is currently at work on an
asynchronous exploration of glass making.

Kevin T. Allen | kevin at smallgauge.org
smallgauge.org | phonoscopy.com