[Frameworks] Upgrading Mac Tower for optimal FCP 7 performance

Ken Paul Rosenthal kenpaulrosenthal at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 30 20:43:11 UTC 2016

My current project will likely be my last project on FCP 7. My Mac tower is rather ancient and it's starting to make ticking noises--sounds like a door latch--that I've never heard before. It's likely the hard drive, so I'm going to take it in for replacement shortly so that my unit doesn't crash, mid-edit. I'm seeking advice as to what additionally upgrades I can do to optimize my tower for this project in terms of speed and safety, as I'm editing from a pool of infinitely more images than any prior project--well over 2,500. My pool of images and project files are backed up on two additional drives.I believe I'm maxed out on RAM.  Not looking for a comprehensive overhaul as I will likely sell this computer after this project.  Here's the specs:

OSX 10.6.8
Processor 2 x 2.66 Ghz
Dual Core Intel Xeon
Memory 66GB, 667 Mhz DDR2 FB-DIMM