[Frameworks] Upgrading Mac Tower for optimal FCP 7 performance

Warren Cockerham warrencockerham at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 21:14:05 UTC 2016

Hi Ken,

For hard drives, I would suggest getting a 2.5" SSD like these
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148949&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Solid+State+Disk-_-N82E16820148949&gclid=CLiatd230soCFYEmHwodZJEFHQ>
instead of a 7200rpm 3.5". You'd need to get this adapter:
http://www.amazon.com/Sonnet-Technologies-Transposer-3-5-Inch-TP-25ST35TA/dp/B0057UHR2M

I'd also consider switching from FCP7 to Premiere. You might be maxed out
on RAM, but FCP7 doesn't care; it only uses 4gb of RAM. You can allocate as
much RAM as you need with Premiere. When I initially switched over to
Premiere, I also used the FCP7 keyboard shortcuts (a preferences option in
Premiere) - it was just like working in FCP7 but a lot faster. If you're
project originated on film and you need to have a negative conformed,
you'll probably want to stick with FCP7 and Cinema Tools. Otherwise,
there's not much of a reason to use it with an all-digital project. I think
you can get the entire Adobe CC package for $20 a month if you teach or
you're a student. Apple Pro Res files take up a lot of hard drive space. I
switched over for space, speed, text, and Adobe dynamic link. There's other
options of course, but if you love FCP7 like I did (and still do),
Premiere's probably your best bet. FCP7 doesn't take advantage of GPU in
your graphics card either (you might think of upgrading your video/graphics
card too).

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Warren
NYC