[Frameworks] Rephotographing 16mm

Amanda Christie amanda at amandadawnchristie.ca
Tue Jul 12 12:52:29 UTC 2016

I often enjoy running film that is too dense through a reducer which is a chemical that actually pulls out some of the excess silver.

Farmer's reducer was wonderful (two part powder packet).... but they don't make it anymore... I used to have a lot of expired packets... I'm sure there is a recipe out there to make some.

It is very tricky though, and it's easy to go too far and loose your whole image... so be careful and go little by little.... it keeps reducing even after you take it out of the bath and put it into the water... so remove it just before you get to where you want to be.... this step you can do in the light, so you can watch it reducing, then take it out before it's done and put it in the water.

Don't do it your first time on footage that is precious though....
It's really easy to fuck up and either loose your whole image or have really inconsistent results.

adc