[Frameworks] Painting directly to film

Myron Ort zeno at sonic.net
Sat Dec 9 19:42:53 UTC 2017

I would say that the most of Brakhage’s extensive painting on film was inspired by the socalled Abstract Expressionist painters, I believe he said as much.

Brakhage was certainly not painting or scratching (“cute”) little animated figures or the same tiresome (easy/lazy) cliches as most practitioners end up doing.

> On Dec 4, 2017, at 3:48 PM, Robert Withers <withersr at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> I am bemused by this topic since the questioner specifically referred to "abstract expressionist" painting on film There have been a lot of painters on film including myself, and kids I taught in film class.
> But I've never been aware of a painter on film who wasn't inspired specifically by the traditions and techniques of experimental or animated film, and the very technology of motion picture film itself.
>
> Abstract expressionists were very self-conscious of their specific practice (I don't remember who named the style). With the big expressionistic body-gestures it seems to have little to do with the careful, miniaturistic practices of painters on film, no matter how free the projected image looked. I fondly remember Brakhage's Persian Series which he created with a lightbox and painting kit on the tables of a Colorado Cafe.
>
> Maybe art historians of the future will link all free abstract images as "abstract expressionism" but I don't think so.
>
> Cheers,
> Robert
>

> WithersWorks.com <http://withersworks.com/>
> 202 West 80th St. #5W