[Frameworks] Painting directly to film

MARILYN BRAKHAGE vams at shaw.ca
Sat Dec 9 22:16:58 UTC 2017

Obviously there are medium specific differences between painting on film (being of small size and time-based) and painting on a large, single canvas. But "abstract expressionism" can cover a fairly wide range of application, I think -- not simply and only referring to the broad, gestural strokes of so-called "action painting," for example. And Myron is right that Stan Brakhage was deeply immersed in and inspired by many painters who would be classified as abstract expressionist, and his painted work can be seen as much closer in spirit and aesthetic values to them than to any animation filmmaker I can think of. In fact, I would say that he extended the abstract expressionist form through the addition of movement -- though there are few filmmakers who have done it as well as he did, and many painted films do look more like simple animation, lacking the formal cohesion of a Brakhage film.