[Frameworks] Blackbox

Bernard Roddy tactilecorpus at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 01:35:14 UTC 2017

"If your film can be viewed online without a password it will
unfortunately be ineligible. A Scottish premiere is a requirement for
UK short films."

That's Kim Knowles at the Edinburgh Film Festival.  It reminds me of a
colleague many years ago who said the faculty weren't interested in a
candidate who had published something.

Why would one make that connection?  Unrestricted online access to a
work classifies it differently than restricted access via password,
but in either case it would be available online.  And the festival
requires that it be available online.  It will be considered in a
format that cannot be available to just anyone.  But the password will
likely be provided to other festivals.

We're in that zone of exclusivity that is both strangely satisfying
but also inexplicably disconcerting.  I have this feeling that the
objective would be articulated as follows: only those committed to a
certain kind of film practice are solicited.  But how to narrow the
submissions without making the work homogenous?

Bernie