[Frameworks] Blackbox

Esperanza Collado esperanzacollado1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 19:04:42 UTC 2017

I do understand the incongruity you are trying to point out, but it's not
the same to watch an online preview, which sometimes can be a domestic
screener instead of a professional telecine watched on a laptop, than to
experience a print or a digital work projected properly in a darkened space
with the adequate sound system, etc. For some of us the* conditions of
reception and enunciation* of the work can become an integral part of the
work itself. Perhaps the festival you are referring to acknowledges and
values this kind of works.

> "If your film can be viewed online without a password it will
> unfortunately be ineligible. A Scottish premiere is a requirement for
> UK short films."
>
> That's Kim Knowles at the Edinburgh Film Festival.  It reminds me of a
> colleague many years ago who said the faculty weren't interested in a
> candidate who had published something.
>
> Why would one make that connection?  Unrestricted online access to a
> work classifies it differently than restricted access via password,
> but in either case it would be available online.  And the festival
> requires that it be available online.  It will be considered in a
> format that cannot be available to just anyone.  But the password will
> likely be provided to other festivals.
>
> We're in that zone of exclusivity that is both strangely satisfying
> but also inexplicably disconcerting.  I have this feeling that the
> objective would be articulated as follows: only those committed to a
> certain kind of film practice are solicited.  But how to narrow the
> submissions without making the work homogenous?
>
> Bernie

Esperanza Collado

www.esperanzacollado.net