[Frameworks] Eulogy Films

Adam Hyman adam at lafilmforum.org
Sun Mar 19 18:48:08 UTC 2017

I believe Phil Solomon has one for Mark LaPore, but I am blanking on the
title.

From:  Marilyn Brakhage <vams at SHAW.CA>
Date:  Sat, 18 Mar 2017 15:43:44 -0700
To:  "Experimental Film Discussion List <frameworks at jonasmekasfilms.com>"
<frameworks at jonasmekasfilms.com>
Subject:  Re: [Frameworks] Eulogy Films

Dear Margaret,
Some Stan Brakhage films in homage to specific individuals include "Water
for Maya" [i.e. Maya Deren], 2 min, 25 sec.; "Visions in Meditation #4: D.H.
Lawrence," 17 min. 41 sec; and "Last Hymn to the Night - Novalis," 17 min.
18 sec.  Also, the fifth and final section of his "b series," subtitled
"Sorrowing" (and by extension the entire film) was dedicated to Gregory
Markopoulos, 12 minutes.
... Homages to larger groups of people might include "The Dead" (10 min. 21
sec., filmed in Paris/Père Lachaise cemetery), and "In Consideration of
Pompeii," 4 min. 35 sec.
... Someone else mentioned "Sirius Remembered" (in homage to a family dog).
Along those lines would also be "Pasht" (in honor of a cat).  "Sirius
Remembered" was also thought of as part of a trilogy, with "The Dead" and
"Burial Path" (in part, I believe, in consideration of a late illness of
Stan's friend, the literary critic, Donald Sutherland).

Marilyn Brakhage