[Frameworks] Jazz Music and Avant-Garde Film

Chuck Kleinhans chuckkle at northwestern.edu
Fri Nov 10 08:52:50 UTC 2017

Not to question the  expertise of fellow frameworkers about film, but I think we need to hear  from intellectual property lawyers and DVD executives on this matter.

As I understand it, music rights for films are handled by a few Hollywood outfits.  All  about rights by artisans and indies are automatically refused by the copyright owners (or some absurd fee is given suitable for commercial cinema and TV).

So you have to work through the spendy lawyers at these intellectual property shops.  Can a starving artist get a break?  probably a matter of luck or accident or pity….but I really don’t know.

What do the Visual Music folks say?

Chuck