[Frameworks] Jazz Music and Avant-Garde Film

Chuck Kleinhans chuckkle at northwestern.edu
Fri Nov 10 17:38:20 UTC 2017

Pip,

Thanks for the elaboration; this is very helpful.  There has been a fair amount of progress made in advancing “fair use” of visual materials in mashups, found footage, etc. in the US.

I think because of a somewhat different history, music is a somewhat different case…again, in the US.  Ownership is pretty zealously guarded, it seems.  But I also understand that in the 80s-90s a certain adjustment was made in the recording industry due to the massive use of sampling in hiphop and rap.  I really don’t know the details: just that it was initially very contentious and eventually some system was worked out.

To return to some of the films already mentioned: I can believe that Kenneth Anger said he had the rights to the music in Scorpio Rising.  But I can also believe that he was fibbing.  After all, who’s going to check up on it?  IF he was caught, what could the original owner of the music copyright expect to get from the filmmaker?  Enough to make it worthwhile to pay some lawyer to  pursue it?  And if you won a judgement, what would these artists, or their estates, actually be able to cough up?

Did Bruce Conner clear all the rights to the clips in A Movie?  I’d bet “no”.

Chuck