[Frameworks] Asking for a friend

Fred Camper f at fredcamper.com
Fri Nov 24 03:03:34 UTC 2017

This utopian view of experimental cinema seems to me to be incorrect.
Some of those I would call the very greatest experimental filmmakers
were also sexual harassers. Remember that many filmmakers had a position
of profesorship, which certainly conveys an aura of authority, or other
positions of power. Asking for sex from a very young and very admiring
student enrolled in one of one's courses  is highly inappropriate, and
not only in my view, even if it is nowhere near as awful as the worst of
the actions we are hearing about today.

I do not wish to name filmmakers now very old or deceased, but I can
without searching my memory very hard quickly count to eight, not all of
them among the greatest filmmakers and not all of them professors. I
felt the need to chime in in response to the we are better than they
tone of this post. I am a bit out of the current scene and do not know
of currently active harassers in our little film world. It would be nice
to think that there are fewer today, and nicer to think that such
actions will be greatly reduced by the current shift in climate around
this issue.

Perhaps the old HIV slogan, Silence=Death, can be resurrected with a
slight rewrite now? I am not sure what to use instead of death though.

Fred Camper
Chicago