[Frameworks] Asking for a friend

Pip Chodorov frameworks at re-voir.com
Fri Nov 24 03:38:52 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Of course anything can happen in any domain, whether in a university
or in a community film lab. No community is immune from people who
use their position of authority inappropriately. I'm sure Fred is
right about filmmakers exhibiting inappropriate behavior, and I'm
sure filmmakers have had disturbing experiences with their subjects
as Amanda relates. But Chuck's question compares our "industry" with
entertainmeint, politics and academia, and I think there is a
difference.

Of course when the subject matter of our films brings us into
dangerous situations or into contact with people who cause
harassment, yes and I guess that can be an even greater danger in
documentary filmmaking, especially social documentary. I really
wasn't thinking about the act of filming a subject, or in the
relation of power or authority between filmer and filmee, but in the
"business" side of experimental film. There are no "casting couches."

When I reflect on the panorama of experimental filmmaking there are
fewer films about human subjects than in narrative or documentary
filmmaking. So many films are about mountains or emulsion scratches
or found images or old friends, and many of us work totally alone
with printing machines or in a darkroom.

On the other hand many films do cross the line into sexual politics
or sexuality in general, like Flaming Creatures. Not only the
vulnerability of the filming situation but the potential of
distribution and exhibition is affected by the subject matter. (In
some cases film labs even refused to print explicit images).

I didn't mean to disrespect anybody in our community who has had bad
experiences with bad actors, but to posit that in the narrow scope of
avant-garde film, one's career as a filmmaker is less likely to be in
jeapordy due to inappropriate sexual behavior, though other abuses of
power are much more common.

Interesting debate, but I doubt it's made more interesting now
because of the proliferation of news stories. It should have always
been acceptable and rewarding to call out wrongdoing when it happened.

- Pip