[Frameworks] Asking for a friend

Kate Ewald katherine.ewald at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 17:17:19 UTC 2017

I will give an anecdote about this very listserv: I was very severely
sexually harassed as a college student posting about a film screening in
2008.  It was for a well-known experimental filmmaker.  The response to my
post involved "oh, you don't know what you're talking about and I bet you
can shut up and stick a dick in your mouth."  This persisted for several
posts (becoming increasingly graphic), some just to me, some to the whole
list - I'm not sure what prompted such a reaction from this stranger.
Scott was kind enough to delete these posts from the archives out of
respect and block this person from Frameworks, but as a young person first
entering the experimental film community (it was my first post on
Frameworks), I was shaken.  Some people policed it and stood up for me
then, but Scott made it go away very quickly.  So yes, this happens in our
community, and yes, this happens on this listserv.  I wish it weren't the
case.