[Frameworks] Forwarded from Massart Faculty

Fred Camper f at fredcamper.com
Sat Apr 14 20:43:51 UTC 2018

So it sounds like you are unquestionably accepting that Levine was
forced out due to the nature of his filmmaking?

Are the five signatories of that statement lying?

Of course it is true that it is in the nature of some kinds of art
making that the artist will believe that she or he has found /the
/truth, /the /path, the only correct way of making films or other art.
Jessica comments on a facet of this, though I think in some other kinds
of artists authoritarianism is not to be found, or will be successfully
hidden. But for some of the most original artists, this belief is
central to their practice. One only has to read the writings of Dziga
Vertov and Robert Bresson, both filmmakers who felt so strongly that
their mode of filmmaking was the only true way that they used use words
or phrases to refer /only /to their own films to the exclusion of all
others to emphasize the correctness of their choices, for examples. One
can only speculate as to the nature, if language differences could be
bridged, of a "faculty meeting" to discuss the correct  forms of cinema
education with a faculty consisting of Eisenstein, Vertov, Epstein,
Bresson, Kubelka, Brakhage, Rainer, and, oh, say, Roberto Rossellini,
Nicholas Ray and John Ford.

But at the same time, Stan Brakhage, Peter Kubelka, Robert Breer, Hollis
Frampton, George Landow/Owen Land, Ernie Gehr, Larry Jordan, Ken Jacobs,
Larry Gottheim, and of course others, all taught  filmmaking for many
decades. I name these in particular as filmmaker whose work I like, in
most cases hugely. All showed their own films as part of their teaching
practice. Does anyone know of cases in which these filmmakers got into
trouble with their schools over the nature of their completed films, or
for their expression of their ideas about their art? Some have troubles,
but more due to the nature of their personalities, is that not right?

With so many nations sliding into dictatorship, we who are privileged to
live in relatively free nations should appreciate, and try to preserve,
what we have, taking care to make accusation about the abridgement of
academic freedom only when it has really occurred.

What you are advocating implies an inner split that is probably
impossible for most of us to put in practice in the long term, but is
also fundamentally dishonest. Hired to teach one's beliefs, and not
directed to conceal them, the filmmaker is then to spend a career lying
about them? Is that even fair to the students, or to the school? Would
such a course not make the world a fundamentally worse, rather than
better, place? Haven't we seen enough lying, especially when it is not
absolutely necessary?

Avoiding academia entirely might be a good idea, if one can manage it.
I  think Markopoulos's films only got greater, after he left teaching
and the U.S. I certainly felt freer in many ways when I could survive as
a freelance writer, working mostly for a for-profit newspaper, than when
I turned to teaching at allegedly high-minded not for profit
institutions. At the same time, I have been relatively free to work my
own beliefs about cinema and about art even in predesigned courses in
which I have to teach certain elements I did not decide on (though also
do not oppose). And I feel sure that for many, alternative-to-teaching
jobs might be far worse than teaching.

Fred Camper
Chicago