[Frameworks] Forwarded from Massart Faculty

MARILYN BRAKHAGE vams at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 16 08:31:22 UTC 2018

I don't know all the details of this story (and it doesn't sound as if anyone else in this thread does either), but I just wanted to make a few observations about the conversation generally:

"Are the five signatories lying?" you ask. One might also ask, are the five signatories engaging in a sort of 'group think'? And/or is it possible that both sides of the tale are telling "the truth" from their own perspective and chosen emphasis? ... My (admittedly sketchy) understanding is that Saul Levine received a student complaint about the content of a film, a student feeling "unsafe" perhaps, or "sexually harassed?" (as is increasingly the charge that is made, it seems, when someone is presented with something of a sexual nature that makes them uncomfortable.) Any such complaint would necessitate that the administration investigate it. They would be obliged to do that. This chain of events taking place within a backdrop of long standing contention between Saul and other faculty members and/or administrators may have led to an encounter that caused Saul to decide that all things considered he'd rather just quit. Thus, they can say that he was not forced to quit because of his film, that leaving was his choice -- yet he still has a story to tell about what led to his decision to leave. The administration says he was not forced to quit, and paints him as an ongoing problematic personality who is now "bullying" them. I don't know precisely what they mean by that, but he has his story to tell, from his point of view, and has every right to tell it. I don't think that telling your story of a contentious relationship with others, and even naming the people you were in argument with, should necessarily be considered "bullying." And in a five versus one argument it is not necessarily true that the five must be right and the one must be wrong. They have their experience and views and he has his. ... As for the longstanding conflicts, no doubt an ability to compromise and to 'get along' with people is helpful in any walk of life -- but on the other hand, there are some things that people of integrity will not compromise on. They may fight for awhile, they may decide to move on, and they may also have an argument they'd subsequently like to present to a larger audience. So be it. But the idea that artists are likely to be particularly and uniquely difficult, self-absorbed people who are impossible to get along with is a cliché that I reject. There are, of course, a lot of horribly difficult artists. And there are a lot of horribly difficult non-artists. And academic institutions are also fairly notorious for their petty, territorial squabbling, which has nothing to do with art whatsoever.

As a raised example of an artist teaching, Stan Brakhage did, yes, show his own films as a part of his teaching practice, but he never taught film making . This is because he considered his method of making films, which involved deep dives into the unconscious, not "teachable" in the ordinary sense, and potentially dangerous, and probably because he wanted to keep his filmmaking practice generally separate from his teaching. ... I don't recall Stan "getting into trouble" with the school over the nature of his completed films, though I do recall some students complaining, after he showed Kenneth Anger's Scorpio Rising, that he was showing them "pornography." And on another occasion when a university colleague (not a filmmaker or artist of any kind) filled in for Stan during an absence, she told his Film History class that Stan's idea of film history was only about what mattered to him in his own filmmaking (which was totally untrue; as many know he was a voracious consumer of films of all sorts, and his film history classes were extremely varied and fabulously illuminating). But academics often have very narrowly focussed areas of interest also, and can be just as competitive and controlling in their personalities as anyone else.

Without going into any further specifics, it is also generally true, I think, that people with large, passionate, or dramatic personalities or temperaments are very easy to target for blame when tempers flare and disagreements become intense. People will find it easy to believe that it must have been that person's fault. But there are times when that is not the case. So who knows?

Fred, you also say that we should take care to make accusations about the abridgment of academic freedom only when it has really occurred. True, but it might also be worth noting that such abridgments can creep in in insidious ways and we need to be vigilant about the effects of any dominating agenda of any particular group of people, and the increasingly narrowing notions about what is and is not acceptable and open for discussion, let alone viewing, in our academic institutions. I think these are real, not fanciful dangers.

Marilyn Brakhage