[Frameworks] film/art for the deaf

Jorge Lorenzo Flores Garza jorgelorenzo at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 27 21:31:08 UTC 2018

Hello Dan!  Sounds like a very interesting class you'll be teaching.  I thought of a film by Antoni Pinent which uses Braille writing onto the film.  He marked the film with a Braille writing machine so that it created a bump on the acetate.  When run through the projector you see the markings but you also hear them bumping their way through the plate.  I know Braille is for the visually impaired, but I think it synesthetically pushes the audience to use other processes of perception.  I really don't remember the name of the film but I can provide his e-mail address if you need it.
I myself am teaching a class called Media Aesthetics and even though it started out as a theoretical course, I have taken it into other directions that involve physical activities that complement the content of the class.  Nothing fancy, just trying to bring out other learning procedures that are not limited to spoken language and audiovisual examples.  The results have been very interesting because the students learn the theory by delving into the very processes that developed the aesthetics we find within contemporary media.  Maybe pushing the group into other ways of perception and learning could help.

Best,

Jorge Lorenzo