[Frameworks] Films about the clock

Dave Tetzlaff djtet53 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 17:18:30 UTC 2018

If we take the concept of “clock” as ’time keeping device’ then it seems to me that topic might include any motion picture works that foreground how the medium keeps time: for example: any footage in the final product with timecode burned-in, or time and date stamped. Also the use of the countdown in Acadewmy leader. Here, of course, I’m thinking of Bruce Connor (again, not ‘contemporary, but I’m an old fart), especially report.

It also occurs to me that in mainstream narrative film, images of clocks don't KEEP time (e.g. screen time or running time), they typically are shown to reference the DIFFERENCE between screen time and time in the diegesis, or the subjective nature of time to a character (fast-spinning clocks, etc.). I mention this in case there’s some sort of useful distinction or difference here between experimental/conventional that helps illuminate the latter.