[Frameworks] Readings on alternative spaces for cinema?

Jonathan Walley walleyj at denison.edu
Mon Dec 16 15:50:38 UTC 2019

I highly recommend Brian Frye’s account of the Robert Beck (free download):
https://uknowledge.uky.edu/law_facpub/322/ <https://uknowledge.uky.edu/law_facpub/322/>

And I find this utterly engrossing. Get ready to go down the rabbit hole:
https://archive.org/details/TheRobertBeckMemorialCinemaVolumeIMay1998-october1999/page/n3 <https://archive.org/details/TheRobertBeckMemorialCinemaVolumeIMay1998-october1999/page/n3>

Kathryn Ramey’s very cool book addresses microcinemas indirectly, but deals quite a lot with DIY practices:
https://routledgetextbooks.com/textbooks/9780240823966/ <https://routledgetextbooks.com/textbooks/9780240823966/>.

Ramey has also done some fascinating scholarship on experimental film from an anthropological perspective, which extends to the spaces in which experimental films are shown and the communities that develop in and around these spaces. See:http://rameyfilms.com/writings.html <http://rameyfilms.com/writings.html>. In particular:
https://www.ejumpcut.org/archive/jc52.2010/rameyExperimentalFilm/index.html <https://www.ejumpcut.org/archive/jc52.2010/rameyExperimentalFilm/index.html>.

I heartily second Alain’s recommendation of INCITE #4.

And (apologies up front) my forthcoming book on expanded cinema spends a chunk of time talking about how recent/contemporary expanded cinema and the microcinema are formally parallel and sprung from similar historical sources - pressures might be the better word. It comes out this summer, so you’ll have to be in suspense for awhile, but it is on the topic you raise. [Cinema Expanded: Avant-Garde Film in the Age of Intermedia, Oxford U. Press. At no bookstores near anyone, summer 2020.]

JW

Dr. Jonathan Walley
Associate Professor
Department of Cinema